FAQ about Camera systems & Alarm Systems Electronic security
Camera Systems and Alarm Systems
Q: How often should the battery be changed?
A: Alarm systems have a backup battery that if the power is cut the alarm will still operate, an average life of the battery is about 5 years.
Q: Can I change the battery?
A: Yes most people are able to do this, it’s best to call us & we are happy to help over the phone at no cost to you. Free.
Q: How do I change the user code on my alarm system?
A: depending on what brand of alarm system you have, will depend on how this is done. We recommend Bosch Alarm Systems for a basic home or small shop.
Q: What Alarm system should I get installed?
A: Generally speaking it’s best to ask your security installer to have a look around the premises and advise you after a site inspection. A well-known brand like Bosch gives you 3 years manufactures warranty.
Q: There are so many camera systems available; how do I know what to look for in a CCTV system?
A: There are a few main things to look for, but you should first look for, the highest resolution system you can afford.
- High-resolution cameras & recorder.
- If you have an existing analog CCTV system & want to use existing cabling you should consider (AHD 1.2mp) or (SDI 2.1mp) or (TVI 2.0mp)
- The better option if you don’t have an existing CCTV system, is an IP camera system. This will future proof when the time comes to upgrade to a higher resolution camera system.
Q: Should I leave the decision up to the security installer to install a CCTV system and not worry?
A: It would be nice to say YES to this question, but honestly; ask for the price for different options, then get another quote from another company and compare apples with apples. Here is a link to some photos of cameras
Q: Can I get a sample of the camera footage before I decide which CCTV system I want.
A: Yes, any good security provider will and should give you a CD with sample footage for Day & Night with their quotation.
Q: Remote viewing my cameras over the internet on my phone?
A: Yes, these days it is commonplace, the speed of your internet connection at home and your mobile phone play a huge part in live viewing without lag.
My House & it’s security
The property is protected by Physical & Electronic security, this makes it unlikely to get broken into.
I am a Trade Qualified NSW Locksmith with 23 years on the tools, including 10 or more years in Highland Electronic Security.
I’m confident about sharing this information publicly to help you, become more aware of your security.
Here is what I’ve done.
- Quality locks on all wooden doors. ( Here is where you will find quality locks)
- Installed Mul-t-lock Cylinders on all lock deadlocks. (About Mul-T-Locks cylinders & keys)
- Install Fly screen doors with triple locking. ( here you can see what the screen door look like)
- Fly screen on windows.
- Normal window locks & can be locked open. ( Window Locks )
- Concept 4000, Security system which sends me an SMS. ( Concept 4000 Security system)
- IP HD camera systems are installed. ( IP HD Camera system general info )
- If you press my doorbell it sends me an SMS & sounds the keypad like a doorbell, The outside lights come on.
- I have installed a motion detector in the backyard. ( this will alert me if a person enters the backyard)
- Protecting the roof was done by installing a motion detector in the roof.
- Smoke detectors are installed in each room when I’m not home “if a fire happens” I will receive an SMS & then I can call the fire brigade.
- I’ve installed an electronic ball valve to water the lawn via the security system, which I can set exactly what second of what day and for how long the water comes on.
- The garage roll-a-door motor is connected to the system, it allows me to open the door from my mobile, or use my swipe card.
- The front door has a HID R10 proximity card reader with an electric strike.
Q: Are Alarm Systems all the same?
A: The short answer is “the basic function of a system is slimmer” but they are not all the same.
Difference between Security Systems
In Australia, we have a few main brands of alarm systems for a house, or small shop or office. The main Brands are NESS, DSC, CROW, Hills, Bosch. Each of these brands all offers the basic Alarm system functionality of Arming and Disarming they system.